Quality Representation for Municipalities Throughout Western Massachusetts, Particularly in Springfield, Amherst, & Northampton Counties
The municipal law practice at the Law Offices of Adams & Kokonowski provides effective representation and counsel to municipal government entities on critical issues for successful local governance throughout Western Massachusetts. We’re also uniquely qualified to assist private sector individuals and businesses in disputes with public agencies or municipalities. Our municipal law attorneys are well versed in current municipal law and governmental affairs in the region and are prepared to handle a full range of municipal law challenges.
Whether your situation requires preventive counseling, passionate advocacy, skillful negotiation, rigorous litigation or financial guidance, you can count on our legal team to protect your rights and interests and provide creative solutions in a timely and cost-effective manner.
If you would like to discuss your municipal law issue and learn of the legal options available to you, we are pleased to offer a free initial consultation. Call one of our locations to schedule:
Springfield: 413.737.9700; Northampton: 413.585.9200; Amherst: 413.549.0022.
Experienced Massachusetts Municipal Law Attorneys
The firm’s partners Jesse Adams and Tom Kokonowski possess intimate knowledge and understanding of the inner workings of public entities because they have worked in the public sector and held many leadership positions in local government.
Jesse Adams has previously served as:
- Northampton City Councilor for 7 years
- Northampton City Council Vice President
- Northampton Public Safety Committee Chair
- Board of Public Works Committee Chair
- Cultural and Recreational Committee Chair
- City Charter Review Committee Member
- Forbes Library Trustee
Tom Kokonowski has previously served as:
- Springfield Assistant City Solicitor for six years
- Advising police and fire commissions on various aspects of contracts, labor, and municipal law.
- Prosecuting firefighters and police officers against whom disciplinary action was contemplated.
- Hampden County District Attorney Prosecutor
- Franklin & Hampshire County Trial Attorney for 25+ Years
- Northampton & Amherst Civil Litigation handling everything from auto accident and personal injury cases to contract disputes.
- Northampton & Amherst Criminal defense attorney
- He is currently serving as a Special Prosecutor for the city of Springfield in a potential disciplinary hearing involving 12 police officers.
Legal Services for Municipalities
The municipal law attorneys at the Law Offices of Adams & Kokonowski serve as counsel for a variety of local government bodies including municipalities (cities, counties, townships), school boards, planning commissions, zoning hearing boards and chambers of commerce in various applications of municipal law and public law. We also regularly advise city administrators, city council members, fire departments, police departments, mayors, and other municipal employees and public officials.
We work on behalf of municipalities on matters related to:
- Compliance with federal and state statutes and regulations as well as local ordinances
- Municipal litigation and defense in state and federal courts
- Oversight of project bidding, zoning and development, review and approval
- Labor relations and negotiation of collective bargaining agreements
- Representation at administrative hearings
- Drafting resolutions, ordinances, deed restrictions, contracts and other legal documents
- Municipal finance (Red Book bond counsel)
- Advising claw enforcement, fire/EMS and public safety issues
- Freedom of Information Act compliance
- Property taxation
- Environmental compliance
- Compliance with open meeting and record laws
- Charter review and revision
Legal Services for Private Clients
Our private clients benefit from the knowledge and experience we’ve gained through representing municipalities and governmental agencies. We help individuals, businesses, real estate developers, contractors and others
- Navigate through the complex administrative processes of governmental agencies, political subdivisions and local decision-making bodies
- Navigate the complexities of municipal codes and regulations
- Obtain proper permits
- Address land use, zoning and safety issues proactively with the proper agencies
- Defend personal or business rights and interests when accused of violating zoning or safety regulations
- Contest government denials for zoning changes, development and other business- and real estate-related initiatives
- Tax certiorari proceedings
- Resolve eminent domain transactions or disputes